Brought to you by:

State readies for high-threat bushfire season

NSW is stepping up preparations for the bushfire season, warning there is “high potential for a challenging summer, with forecasts indicating an increased likelihood of above-average temperatures and below-average rainfall”. 

More than 100 emergency management and land management specialists gathered last week ahead of the Hazard Reduction Roundtable for senior representatives from more than 15 organisations including the Rural Fire Service, Fire & Rescue NSW and National Parks and Wildlife Service.

The meeting will review hazard reduction efforts and the latest seasonal outlook, while seeking ways to strengthen bushfire planning and risk reduction.

Agencies have undertaken hazard reduction work across more than 124,000 hectares of public and private land since July last year, protecting more than 174,000 properties.

The area treated is up more than 20% on the previous year.

Since Taskforce Fire Guard – the NSW government’s multiagency hazard reduction taskforce, led by the RFS – launched in April, more than 75,000 hectares have been treated.

But the government says changing weather patterns are making hazard reduction more difficult, with warmer and drier conditions reducing the windows for planned burns.

NSW has experienced unusually dry conditions following a warm autumn, with some areas already experiencing drought.

The bushfire danger period begins on October 1 for most of NSW, although some northern areas have already entered it.

RFS commissioner Trent Curtin said: “Following several years of above-average rainfall and significant vegetation growth, we need to continue to take every available opportunity to reduce bush fire risk.”