Brought to you by:

NOAA predicts busy Atlantic hurricane season

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google

Forecasters at the US-based National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) expect an “above normal” Atlantic hurricane season.

NOAA’s outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 until November 30.

NOAA forecasts 13 to 19 named storms, of which six to 10 could become hurricanes, including three to six major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5).

An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.