Home / Daily / Cricketer Mitchell Starc settles with Lloyd’s
11 August 2020
Australian fast bowler Mitchell Starc and Lloyd’s have agreed to settle a disputed claim under a total disablement policy, averting an expected hearing in the Victorian County Court.
An in-principle agreement has been reached and the result will become official in coming days when the parties file the settlement, the court confirmed today.
Mr Starc was suing Lloyd’s after he missed the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) season in 2018 due to injury. He has been seeking $1.51 million, plus interest to the date of judgement.
Court documents filed last year by Mr Starc’s lawyers Mills Oakley stated the period of coverage began on 27 February 2018 and ended on 31 May the same year. Mr Starc paid a premium of $97,920.
Mr Starc was contracted to play in the April and May 2018 Indian Premier League for the Kolkata Knight Riders cricket team, and the insurance contract was triggered when he withdrew through injury, according to his lawyers.
His writ stated that on March 10, 2018, he suffered a leg injury while playing in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
Lloyd’s rejected the claim, saying his injury did not meet the policy requirements for payment.
“The defendant denies that the plaintiff is entitled to the relief sought or any relief at all," a County Court document filed in May last year by Clyde and Co on behalf of Lloyd’s says.
Mr Starc did not "meet the policy requirements for payment of the total disablement benefit” because he had not "suffered total disablement as a result of a bodily injury as defined by the policy contract”, the document says.
No immediate further comment was available today from Mills Oakley or Clyde and Co.