Brought to you by:
Vero
Vero

NMVTRC cheers Queensland’s return

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google

Queensland’s decision to rejoin the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council has been welcomed by CEO Geoff Hughes and industry stakeholders.

In 2012 the Newman Government stopped funding the insurer-backed national initiative to reduce vehicle theft.

Since then, industry stakeholders including RACQ Insurance and Suncorp have been working to persuade Queensland to rethink its position.

“It’s great – we were very disappointed when the former Newman Government opted out,” Mr Hughes told insuranceNEWS.com.au.

“Local stakeholders such as RACQ Insurance and Suncorp in particular have been making representations on our behalf over a long period leading up to the last state election.”

The Palaszczuk Government made the announcement last week after new figures showed a severe 47% jump in the state’s car theft rate since 2015.

“I’m delighted to announce that this government, through a partnership between police and fire and emergency services, will deliver the funds to ensure Queensland is once again part of the council,” Police Minister Mark Ryan told insuranceNEWS.com.au.

Preparations are being made for the state to rejoin from July 1.

RACQ Insurance says Queensland quitting the council cost the state’s drivers up to $131 million in theft losses last year.

“The Police Minister’s commitment to rejoin this theft prevention group is the right move,” Head of Technical and Safety Policy Steve Spalding said.

“Since 2012 our leaders have... missed out on receiving funding for locally delivered crime prevention programs, so we’re now looking forward to seeing our state reap these long-awaited benefits.”